Thursday, July 23, 2009

Houston, we have a heartbeat!

I have absolutely no problem thinking of what made my yesterday special. It was the day I heard the most beautiful sound in the world--the sound of our unborn baby's heartbeat. I rented a doppler from an on-line site and came home from our trip to Notre Dame to find this magical piece of equipment waiting for me. The moment of truth had arrived.

Let me just back up a bit to explain why this was such a momentous moment for me. Of course, hearing that heartbeat is amazing for every mommy to be. However, this mommy to be has experenced a miscarriage so it means even more. My first pregnancy was a blighted ovum. This means that while a baby did start to develop in the very early stages, it stopped growing at some point. However, the sac that would support the baby continued to grow. As a result, I had pregnancy symptoms, positive pregnancy tests, but there was never that all important heartbeat. I did not learn this until I was nearly twelve weeks pregnant. I was living in ignorance; so excited to be pregnant, thinking I was nearing that all important first trimester mark where your chance of miscarriage is greatly reduced. Needless to say, I was disappointed when I learned the truth. However, I was not devastated. Honestly, I had always worried that I would not be able to get pregnant or would have a hard time. I truly felt good to know that my body was capable.

This brings me back to the present. After that experience I do not take any pregnancy for granted. A positive pregnancy test, symptoms, and no sign of miscarriage is not enough reassurance for me. That heartbeat lets me know that there is in fact a little person growing in there. That heartbeat makes it real. I now feel the peace and excitement that I wish for every woman carrying the most precious cargo. God is good and this is truly a special day.

No comments:

Post a Comment